Monday, September 16, 2013

Frost 2013

Yesterday morning I opened the front door to white, spiky grass and frosted windows on the cars. The air had that extra fresh smell, that only frost brings. The trees are bright yellow and orange and leaves are falling where ever you look. Fall is my favorite season. It's a time to reflect, prepare, settle in. It's also a time to get started - with a new school year. This will be my last year as a Master's student. As my mom pointed out, it is also my 4th fall in Alaska. I've been here for a while. 
Today is Monday and after a weekend filled with great activities, I find it hard to be back behind a desk. I went on a hike on Saturday and ended up at the hot springs. Sunday was mostly spent chasing around my friend's dog who ran away, and getting rid of stuff in the yard - last chance before snow. Snow that is predicted to fall this week. 
I took some pictures from our (the Anthropology Department's) new location on campus: 

                                                                   The view from my desk

                  Without zooming in, this is the view from the department

                     ...and when zooming in...

                   Denali - North America's highest mountain was out today

No comments: