Monday, May 13, 2013

The bright side is: no allergies

This time a year I would usually be marveling about the Alaskan spring, the many birch trees making me allergic, but also happy that there are finally green leaves, the yard work I have initiated and probably the failed attempts at getting into shape by jogging. However this year I will do no such thing. Because we still have snow, frozen grounds, no leaves (or allergies) and quite frankly a lack of energy for pretending to jog. It suuuuuucks. 
I stubbornly sat out in the yard amidst snow piles with a blanket and many sweaters the other day. Delta came with me and sat for an hour and a half trying to figure out what the small, buzzing, flying things in the air were (they were flies). 
I have also started accumulating stuff that other people are giving away while they are spring cleaning. So far I have found a new kitchen table for an upcoming expansion of our kitchen. A porch swing, which is amazing. Roller blades (for that getting into shape thing), and last night a new bed. I have the local dump and the many college students leaving the dorms to thank for these free treasures. Last night, when James and I stopped by the dump, a very old car was parked in one corner. A speaker was placed on top of it and Christian preachers were proclaiming the end of the world. It honestly wasn't entirely clear to me if the man behind the car was the preacher of it he was playing old tapes. Surreal either way at 11 pm at a transfer site. A friend of ours showed up and James helped her shove a desk into the backseat of her car, while a guy pulled up to drop of a giant bag of toys. 
The semester is over here in Fairbanks. All of the students are leaving and I am settling down for a couple of quiet weeks at the library as our whole department is moving to a new building and I won't have an office again until August. The library have great windows with mountain view and lots of plants. At least I can pretend it's summer from in there.


No comments: